Saturday, November 28, 2009

Daring Bakers Challenge: Cannoli

cannoli

Except this month we're the Daring Fryers! I missed the challenge deadline by a day, but better late than never, right? Who sets a deadline for the day after Thanksgiving anyway? I was still recovering from cooking, eating, and baking two of these!

008

So this was my rush job. I rarely deep-fry, but you might not believe me if you saw the applesauce doughnuts I made earlier this month. Making the cannoli was easy except for the rolling -- the dough has a knack for springing back so the square never seemed to get bigger. But the shells came out crispy and delicious, and I flavored the ricotta filling with vanilla bean and some maple syrup, for that touch of autumn.  A lot of people aren't familiar with cannoli, which used to stun me. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood where they were readily available, but when I moved to other states people would ask, "Is that like ravioli?" If you're one of these people, don't get put off by the strange concept of filling deep-fried pastry with cheese. It whips up light and is so good when sweetened.

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.



026
Draining the ricotta

035
See the pretty flecks of vanilla bean?

017
Wrapped around molds and ready to be fried.

020
Can't really see them in there.

021
Golden and blistery.

043
Fill them with the ricotta cream, and roll in nuts or chocolate if you like.  Or finish with a dusting of powdered sugar.

13 comments:

  1. Blistery and gorgeous, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you really did a good job on these so warty and blistered and you did home-made ricotta you are clever. Well done. Cheers from Audax in Australia. Nice photos also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cannoli!! So nice to "meet" you. (I made apple cider doughnuts last month!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look perfect! I love the blisters you got, and your filling sounds to die for =D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean! When people aren't familiar with things like cannoli I'm surprised too! These look fabulous and I love the touch of maple syrup in the filling too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone who doesn't do much deep frying, your cannoli are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect shells, perfectly creamy homemade ricotta..wow, you really rocked this challenge! They look awesome! Thanks for deep frying with me this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking cannoli...and the pumpkin pie looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everybody! But that's not homemade ricotta. Just a pic of the water drained out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cannoli look perfect! Crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look sooooo good. I'm sad that I wasn't able to do the challenge this month, but deep fried dough filled with sweetened cheese really isn't something my diet is desperately lacking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shirley..OH wow, I thought you made your own cheese with vanilla bean because the photo of it looks as if it was homemade (the way it's spread in the colander)..MY BAD! That said, I forgot to mention, that's one hell of a 'punkin' pie! Mine never look that good lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job on your cannoli!

    Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.