Saturday, July 17, 2010

Feta, Shrimp & Vegetable Orzo

057

I didn't intend for this to look like fried rice, but between the wok and the shape of the pasta it couldn't be helped.  I've been eating this dish a lot lately, since it's nice and light for summer and uses up goodies from the farmers market.  I based it on a linguine recipe I found online years ago, but have long since ceased using a strict recipe, and I chucked the white wine (go ahead and add some if you really want to).  Lately I've been using orzo and adding various squashes I find from the market.  It's quick, fresh, and delicious.

July Garden
As for my own produce, my tomatoes are still taking their time ripening.  I did harvest my first eggplant of the season today, and I've been snipping some flowers from the yard.  This apricot rose starts out as this pretty orange, then as it opens it changes to shades of pink and red.  The white hydrangeas look nice and rustic in my ice cream machine bucket.

044
This dish gets some squash, tomatoes, garlic, and feta.  Some red pepper flakes will make it a bit spicy.

046
The shrimp are cooked just until pink and then removed to avoid that rubbery texture from overcooking.

048
It's not a Chinese dish, but the wok does help contain everything with its large capacity and sloping sides.

 052
The shrimp are reintegrated when the cooking is done.

055
The feta is added last, and will melt only slightly.  It does look like fried rice, doesn't it?  And the feta could be mistaken for tofu?

Orzo with Shrimp, Feta & Vegetables
8 oz. orzo, cooked according to package directions
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small summer squashes, large dice
2 large tomatoes, large dice
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
6 oz. feta, cubed
1 tbs. fresh basil
Olive oil
Coarse salt

Heat about 2 tbs. olive oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat.  Season the shrimp with ¼ tsp salt, and saute just until pink.  Set aside on a plate.

Add the squash and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and another ¼ tsp salt and cook about 2 more minutes.  Remove from heat and return the shrimp to the wok and stir in the feta.  Top with some torn basil leaves.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how varied and unique your produce looks. Homegrown vegetables are so much more beautiful than what you can buy at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Though, just to clarify, I grew the eggplant but bought the tomatoes and squash this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific combination of fresh ingredients. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish looks so tasty, healthy and refreshing. Many thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.