Saturday, September 4, 2010

Singapore Mei Fun

Singapore Mei Fun

I was happy to tackle this dish since my dad is from Singapore, (though my parental sources informed me it was created by Cantonese people who thought the flavors were like Singapore's, not Singaporeans).  Also, because I attempted it a couple of months ago with the result of mushy and crumbled noodles.  Happily, all went right with this attempt, and I have another old favorite under my belt.  In a departure from the recipe, I used roast pork (char siu) instead of ordinary pork for added flavor.  There are roast pork recipes online, but most people, myself included, just buy it from the restaurant.

Singapore Mei Fun
I learned that all rice vermicelli (mei fun or mi fen) is not created equal, and that certain types hold up better to stir-frying.  Also, don't stir-fry the noodles so long that they fall apart on you.  My mother recommended this brand from Thailand since she's used it before, but I can't say more beyond that on what brands to look out for.  Let me know if you have more guidance in this vein.

Singapore Noodles
From The Essential Asian Cookbook
300 g (9⅔ oz) dried rice vermicelli
600 g (1¼ lb) raw prawns
2 tbs oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
350 g (11¼ oz) pork loin, cut into strips ~ I substituted roast pork here
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
1 tbs mild curry powder
155 g (5 oz) green beans, cut into small diagonal pieces ~ I dislike green beans and left these out, plus they're never in the dish in restaurants
1 large carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbs soy sauce
200 g (6½ oz) bean sprouts, scraggly ends removed
spring onion, cut into fine strips, to garnish

Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft; drain well.

Peel and devein the prawns; chop the prawn meat.

Heat 1 tbs oil in a wok and, when hot, add the prawn meat, garlic, and pork.  Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just cooked; remove from the wok.

Reduce the heat to medium and heat another tablespoon oil; add the onion and curry powder and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the beans, carrot, sugar, and salt; sprinkle with a little water and stir-fry for 2 minutes.

Add the vermicelli and soy sauce to the wok; toss with 2 wooden spoons.  Add the bean sprouts and pork mixture, season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste, and then toss well.  Serve garnished with spring onion.

7 comments:

  1. My husband and I both were drooling over this dish. I haven't tried a dish like this before, but now I want to make this as soon as I can. Great photos and great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again another yummy stir-fried dish! I love my rice and noodles :). And your wok looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my mom's favorite dish back in Panama. I don't find it here in Houston, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I love my wok! Some people insist a wok should not be nonstick, but I disagree.
    No idea this was eaten in Panama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of dish! Thanks for the tip on the rice noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a rice noodle dish - and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. another great dish!! I do love oriental noodle dishes, the chow fun with the fatter noodles is my favorite but ho fun is delicious too!! thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.