Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Peanut Butter Cups

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Confession: I don't like chocolate with peanut butter.  To which my friend Jacob would always respond, "I don't understand you, and I don't think I want to."  I don't even like PB&Js.  Give me a PB or give me a J, but not together.

Peanut Butter Cups

But these chocolate peanut butter cups aren't for me, they're my Valentine's treat to Joe.  He likes Reese's peanut butter cups, but he loved these far more.  (I promise not to make any sickening Valentine's lovey-dovey talk.)  They're hand-made with quality ingredients, see, not some cheap factory-plunked creation.  They'd also make a great gluten-free treat.

Chocolate Cups

These confections are easy to make but require a bit of care.  I combined two recipes I had found.  Melted bittersweet chocolate is brushed on the inside of paper mini-muffin cups, refrigerated, a second layer is brushed on, and they are refrigerated again.  At this point one recipe says to peel off the paper, but this resulted in breakage because the unfilled cups are too fragile.  So I piped the peanut butter mixture into them and froze them briefly, and then removing the paper was easier.

Be quick (the chocolate melts on your fingers), but very gentle when removing the papers.  Expect some breakage and plan on making extras.  Normally I'd console myself over breakage by eating the pieces, but like I said this isn't my kind of treat.  Then hide the broken pieces somewhere and present the prettiest cups to your lucky Valentine.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Adapted from this recipe and from "Good Things" in the Martha Stewart Living February 2011 Issue
Makes 12 cups

2½ ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup peanut butter
1 cups confectioners sugar

Melt your chocolate gently in a bowl set over a simmering pot of water.  Turn off the heat but keep the bowl there so the chocolate doesn't firm up.

Put your paper mini-muffin cups in a tin to keep them from moving around.  Gently holding down a paper cup with two fingers, brush the chocolate on the bottom and up the sides.  Leave a little room at the top so it's easy to peel off the paper later.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes, then repeat and refrigerate 10 more minutes.

Beat the peanut butter and confectioners sugar together in a mixer until smooth.  For a fancier look, scrape the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.  Spoon or pipe the peanut butter into each cup, all the way to the top.  Place the tin into the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.

Working quickly and carefully, peel off the paper cups.  Using a spoon, drizzle the remaining chocolate over each cup.  Keep cool until serving.

16 comments:

  1. Looks heavenly! I love handmade gifts for my hubby! So thoughtful when you make it yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so freakin' cute! I love the idea of piping in the filling. I definitely do not understand the peanut butter aversion--I could live on the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe you don't love pb & choc. I envy you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a long time to even try PB and chocolate, but once I did, it was love at first bite! :)

    Your cups are adorable! Delicious treat, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and simple idea, but such a great combination! :) they look so so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a good woman to make something you are not fond of for your man! But, um, how can you NOT like PB and chocolate???

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty. What a great gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend Jacob seems like a very wise individual. How can you NOT like peanut butter and chocolate???

    -- Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so sweet to make these even though Peanut Butter and Chocolate isn't your favorite (which is shocking, I must say!) Thank you for sharing yourself with me tonight. Your words and recipes always bring me joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection! I'm all about chocolate and peanut butter, so you can send the leftovers my way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those PB cups look amazing. These sound so much better than the Reeses version. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called Sweets for a Saturday and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your PB cups up. http:/sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, everyone!
    I know, I'm nuts not to like chocolate and PB. But more for the rest of you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate. Although I'm with you, I like a PB sandwich only, no jelly.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday. The linky is open all week. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/17/chocolate-chip-toffee-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome! yum, thanks for sharing the peanut butter awesome! glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a perfect Valentine's Day treat..
    I bet your husband loved those sweet little treats, although I would want you to make them for me all year round.
    cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.