Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Banana Cream Pie

bananae
I have yet to meet someone who does not like banana cream pie.  Slices of banana are stirred into a pastry cream, spooned into a pie crust, and topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream ... what's not to like?  And this mini-pie is adorable.

Banana Cream Pie

If only its bigger brother were so successful. When I cut into the big one, the filling was not quite soupy, but not as firm as it should have been.  I initially thought the recipe was at fault and was going to direct readers to this earlier recipe, but the fault lay with me.  In the rush of Labor Day, I refrigerated the big one for only half the recommended time, thinking the filling had set enough, and tended to other things.  But later at home when I cut into the mini-pie, which had been refrigerated all day, the consistency was perfect.  So don't follow my example, but follow the recipe!

This post was linked to:
Sweet Treats Thursday
Sweet Tooth Friday
Tea Party Tuesday
Sweets for a Saturday

Banana Cream Pie
From Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts

½ recipe Pate Brisee
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp coarse salt
2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks (I discovered you can omit 2 for health reasons)
2 tbs cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 ripe bananas, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
1½ cups heavy cream
2 tsp confectioners' sugar
½ tsp pure vanilla extract

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13-inch round, ¼ inch thick.  Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate.  Trim dough, leaving a 1-inch overhang.  Tuck overhang under, flush with rim, and crimp edges.  Pierce bottom of shell all over with a fork.  Refrigerate or freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425°.  Line shell with parchment, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.  Bake until edges begin to turn gold, 15 to 18 minutes.  Reduce heat to 375°.  Remove weights and parchment, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan.  Whisk in milk, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 7 minutes (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).

Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl until combined.  Add milk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated.  Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes.

Pour milk mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl.  Add butter, and stir until melted.  Fold in bananas.  Pour into crust.  Press plastic wrap directly on surface of custard.  Refrigerate until filling is set, 4 hours (or, wrapped in plastic, up to 1 day).

In a chilled bowl, beat together cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.  Spread whipped cream over filling.  Using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, shape topping into peaks.  Sprinkle chocolate curls on top, and serve immediately.

8 comments:

  1. It looks amazing..... I love banana cream pie although my son and husband don't like it at all. Which I always find strange since they both eat bananas makes no sense really. Mini pie is perfect just for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am a banana cream pie LOVER! I could eat that whole pie! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananas? *shudder* Stick to the chocolate, Goh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana cream pie. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley, lovely banana cream pie. I did not understand from the earlier recipe if you bake the banana or not..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. Except the anonymous Jacob.

    Selena, the bananas are not baked in either recipe. Only the pie crusts are baked and then completely cooled. The pudding-like fillings are cooked and then cooled a little, the bananas are stirred in, and the mixture is poured into the crust and refrigerated. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious. I love banana cream pie. Thanks for sharing such a yummy treat, my friend. I hope you are doing well and enjoying your weekend. I'm eating graham crackers and about to go to sleep. Perfect in my book! Much love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.