Thursday, September 12, 2013

Peach-Raspberry Slab Pie

Peach Raspberry Slab Pie

I just love peach pie, and I've been intending to try my hand at making a slab pie for some time.  I was planning my desk's annual Labor Day indoor cookout (gotta find some way to shake up holidays at work), and I wanted a summery dessert that would feed a crowd.  A slab pie is essentially a sheet pan pie, made bigger and flatter so it will feed many and takes less time to make.  So the thinking goes.

I found it just as laborious as making a traditional pie, and kind of a pain.  It started out well when I rolled out the bottom crust easily despite the big dimensions the recipe called for.  But then when I rolled out the top crust the dough started tearing, and I started grumbling.  And by the time I sliced all the peaches and then assembled the whole thing, I was tired.  Why does anyone assume a slab pie will be easier?  It's a huge, double-crust pie.  I've made easier tarts and crostatas.  I did like the combination of raspberries with peaches.  The sides and corners were nice and flaky, but the bottom crust in the middle was unfortunately soft.  The slab pie wasn't bad, it just didn't blow me away.

Jam Hand Pies

I liked these much better.  I used the leftover dough another day to make hand pies filled with berry jam and Greek cream cheese.  I just winged it, but they came out great.  I'm still holding out hope for doing one more summery peach pie, but I better act fast -- apples and pumpkins are already threatening to take over!

Peach Collage

Looking for more peach goodness?  Try White Peach and Prosecco GelatinaLattice-top Peach Pie, Peach-Vanilla Bean Cobbler with Sugar Crunch Lattice, or Peach and Plum Crumble.


Peach-Raspberry Slab Pie
From Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts

Makes one 15-by-10-inch tart

2¼ pounds peaches (about 9), peeled, pitted, and cut into thin wedges
6 ounces (about 1 cup) raspberries
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
⅛ tsp salt
All-purpose flour, for dusting
Pate brisee, see below
1 large egg yolk, for egg wash
1 tbs heavy cream, for egg wash
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375°, with rack in lower third.  Gently toss peaches, raspberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt in a large bowl.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk of dough to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle,⅛ inch thick.  Transfer one rectangle to a 15-by-10-inch rimmed baking sheet.  Trim excess dough to a ½-inch overhang. Transfer remaining rectangle to a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Refrigerate or freeze both until firm, about 30 minutes.

Pour fruit mixture into dough-lined baking sheet, and spread into an even layer.  Cover with remaining rectangle of dough.  Trim edges of top piece of dough to ½-inch overhang.  Fold edges of top layer over edges of bottom layer, and pinch to seal.

Working in rows, cut about 60 holes from top crust using a plain tip (such as Ateco #807), spacing evenly. Whisk together yolk and cream in a small bowl. Brush crust with egg wash. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.

Bake until crust turns golden and filling is bubbling, about 90 minutes. (Tent with foil if crust is browning too quickly.) Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 3 hours, before cutting and serving.

Pate Brisee
From Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts

5 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 cups (4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup ice water

Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some larger pieces remaining. Drizzle half of the water over mixture. Pulse until mixture just begins to hold together.  If dough is too try, add remaining water and pulse.

11 comments:

  1. Oh..I am still waiting for the peach season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks amazing! Great blog and fantastic name :-) We are kinda blog-name twins. I have nothing but love for a fellow LOTR and food fan!

    Following!

    All the best,
    Anna @ TSB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its springtime here in NZ so fruits like peach and raspberry will be readily available soon, cant wait to try this one out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of jealous. I like our autumn fruits like apples and pears, but not as much as I love peaches and watermelon. And we're kind of stuck with apples and the like until next spring.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many gorgeous peach recipes, Shirley. You made the perfect pate brisee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! I make it so much I have the recipe memorized. :)

      Delete
  6. I dearly miss peaches. I feel like I always never have enough peaches and all kinds of summer fruits. Fall and winters are a bit boring for me (I'm okay apple fan, not too crazy...but love apple pie!). Your pie looks so good, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same. I like apples but I'm not crazy about them, and I'd always rather have apple pie. It's apples, pears, and oranges until spring. Not very exciting. :/ Thanks, Nami!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave some comment love.

Please post any questions in the comments, but if you need to e-mail me I can be reached at secondbreakfastblog at gmail dot com.